Long before I even attempted to cook a meal, I knew how to boil macaroni / pasta and that was enough to make one of my most favorite meals, a Chopped Salad. What I love most about this salad is that is a complete meal in itself, covering all of the basic food groups and leaving you satisfied. Whether served as a light meal or as a part of a buffet table, it will be enjoyed by everyone. The key thing to remember when preparing a Chopped Salad is to make the ingredients as uniform in size as possible.
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce chopped
- 2 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 1 small container (8 ounces) of Fresh Mushroom
- 4 Green Onions chopped
- 1 can of Corn drained
- 1 can of Palm Hearts (Palmito) drained and chopped
- 1 can of Artichokes (not marinated) drained and chopped,
- 2 cups of Cooked Small Pasta
- 2 cans of Tuna or Chicken
- 1 Garlic Clove pressed / minced
- 1 Tablespoon of Brown Mustard, 1 Tablespoon of Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar,
- ¼ Cup of Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper and Salt to taste
Prepare the dressing and then add to the salad ingredients thoroughly mixing everything together.
There are several reasons why I enjoy eating this salad; easy to make, each bite has nearly every ingredient included, the crunchy texture and the fact that with the exception of the lettuce, tomatoes, garlic and mushrooms, all of the other ingredients are from cans, jars or bottles which makes shopping for this Chopped Salad very easy. This Chopped Salad will be enough to feed a family of four a light meal or perfect for a dish on a buffet table and my favorite as leftovers the next day.