I have always liked seafood, but it was not until this past year that I have begun to cook fish at home. With that being said, I really enjoy the versatility and forgiveness of salmon when it has been grilled or baked and how well the flavor and texture of the filet pairs with a variety of seasonings. For this most recent “experimentation”, I was working with two requirements. I did not have enough time to marinate the filet, but I was looking to make a glaze that was full of flavor. My solution was a glaze that sweet, spicy and salty, in other words sassy!
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Sambal (You could also use Sriracha or Hot Sauce)
- ¼ Cup of Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup of Vegetable Oil
- Black Pepper
- 1 ½ – 2 Pounds of Salmon Filets or Steaks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl mix the Honey, Sambal, Soy Sauce and Vegetable Oil and whisk together so all of the ingredients are combined together.
- On a baking sheet covered with either parchment paper (preferred) or aluminum foil and then lay down the salmon filets or steaks. Season the salmon with Black Pepper and a little bit of Salt.
- With a basting brush or a spoon, liberally coat the salmon with the glaze that was prepared. You will most likely not use all of the glaze, and that is fine.
- Place the glazed salmon in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes. You can also grill the salmon if you wish.
In my opinion salmon is a very forgiving fish and has a window of time on either side of the recommended time of cooking where it is still perfectly cooked. If the salmon can be easily pulled apart with a fork then it is cooked just right.
There are several things I enjoyed about this salmon. The first that from beginning of preparation to the time the fish was ready to eat was no more than 30 minutes. The flavor of the glaze was a perfect balance of the sweetness from the Honey, spiciness of the Sambal and the saltiness of the Soy Sauce. No one flavor dominated and was a perfect match with the salmon filet. The third reason that this was a great meal is that cleanup was simple and quick.