In the post Decadent Duet: Potabella Mushroom & Broiled Blue Cheese I went into detail on how my enjoyment for Portabella Mushrooms was well behind the marketing campaign. Now that I have embraced these overpriced meaty fungi, I am finding uses for them in snacks, meals and soups. The lunch I prepared for myself was easy to make, full of flavor and probably a lot healthier then the ham, cheese and mayonnaise sandwich I was going to prepare.
Ingredients (one person lunch):
- 2 Large Portabella Mushrooms
- 4 – 6 Slices of thin / shaved Deli Ham
- 2 Slices of Swiss Cheese
- Remove the stems (Save in a freezer bag for future use in mushroom / vegetable stock)
- Poke three or four slits through the mushroom to allow the juices to drain when it bakes.
- Preheat the oven (toaster oven) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place mushroom in aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the baking of the mushrooms is complete, drain off the mushroom juice (I pour it into to same freezer bag as the mushroom stems)
- Place the ham on the mushrooms and top with the cheese
- Set the oven (toaster oven) on broil and cook for 5 – 7 minutes
- Serve and eat