This recipe won’t appeal to everyone, and I’m sure I’ll get some stick from Bill for this, but it was my furry friend’s 5th birthday recently and I though she deserved a treat. But since this is a food website, I though I would have a go at making a dog birthday cake, that was suitable for humans as well as dogs. Given that dogs, shouldn’t eat chocolate, sugar, salt and a list of other things, this would have to be quite a savoury cake.
This cake apart for the addition of chicken, is a little like carrot cake, without the sugar, so I’m sure it’s very healthy. It tasted a little bland for humans, but nothing that a little sprinkling of salt won’t fix, but to dogs, you’ll have to stop them guzzling it all down in one go.
Dog Birthday Cake Recipe
Total time: 1 hour 15 min
- 1.5 cups (190g) whole wheat flour
- 0.5 tbsp of baking powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp of margarine, softened
- 0.25 cups (60ml) of vegetable oil
- 1 cup (235ml) of carrots, shredded
- 4oz (115g) of cooked chicken, chopped
- Plain yoghurt and some cooked bacon sprinkle for the topping
- First beat the margarine until smooth, then beat in the eggs and oil. Add the chicken and carrots and mix to combine.
- Mix together the flour and baking powder, add to the rest of the mixture and mix thoroughly together.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased 8″ (20cm) cake pan.
- Bake the cake in 325F (160F) for 60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool and then decorate with a layer of plain yoghurt and sprinkle with the bacon bits.