In my youth, I lived on the edge. Lots of cocktails, fried foods and beef. Now, as the years have passed, not only do we hear that all of those things are no good for us, but my body doesn’t like them either, the horror! So I pick and choose and modify what I can, instead of vodka rocks- I drink spritzers; instead of fried food- I choose baked; instead of red meat- I pick white.
When swapping foods for a healthier option, you have to accept that your butter-like spread, is never, ever going to taste like butter. Once you accept that, and accept the flavor of the swap as its own flavor, you will find it a lot easier to make the healthier choice. So, when you try this terrific turkey burger recipe, do not taste it with the expectation of a beef-burger. It is not, and can not be. Try it with the expectation that it is a delicious way to prepare ground turkey.
Totally Terrific Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, whisked lightly
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Olive oil
- Hamburger buns
- Fire up the grill!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Using your hands, work the ingredients together gently until just mixed. If you mix it too much, the meat will get tough.
- Form 4-5 patties
- Brush each side of the patty’s with olive oil
- Place each patty on the grill, close cover and leave it alone until sear marks appear. How long this takes depends entirely on the temperature of your grill.
- Flip burgers and leave them alone until sear marks appear.
- Once they are seared on both sides, continue flipping every few minutes until done. I slightly under cook my burgers since they continue to cook after pulled from the grill. I always use a meat thermometer and pull the burgers 10 degrees early, cover them with foil and let the residual heat finish them juicy to a temperature of 170 degrees Fahrenheit. If you wing it, you may get a dry burger and trust me, a dry turkey burger is definitely not yum.
I like mine on a whole grain roll with mustard & pickles on the side.
You may also like
Chicken Salad with Mango, Mint and Cilantro Dressing
Springtime treat – Green garlic
Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
Borscht – Beetroot Soup
Marah’s Chopped Salad, A Light Meal or Perfect Dish for a Buffet
Frozen Peaches…Easy Store, Easy Peel, Easy Stone Removal
Mac ‘n cheese is not a chemistry experiment.
Making semolina pasta at home