If there is one thing that I have learned over the past few years is the simplicity is not to be overlooked when preparing a meal. There is something about the flavors and texture of quick stir fried broccoli with oyster sauce in a wok that has made it one of my most favorite ways to prepare a vegetable for a meal.
This recipe was taught to me by my friend. The great thing about recipes given to you by friends is that you know that they are tried and tested. Of course it does help if you have eaten the dish prior to asking for the recipe. The downside of recipes from friends is that they are usually given to you verbally and more often than not, there is some ingredient that they forget to mention. Thankfully, this is not one of the recipes.
- 1/3 Cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup of Oyster Sauce
- 4 – 5 Garlic ClovesMinced
- Add the minced garlic and vegetable oil to the wok (a deep skillet will also work) and turn the heat to high constantly stirring the minced garlic for about a minute.
- Just as the garlic begin to turn light brown, add the oyster sauce and thoroughly mix the ingredients.
- Lower the heat to medium-high and add the broccoli tossing constantly so that the broccoli picks up all of the tasty goodness of the garlic, vegetable oil and oyster sauce. I like my stir fried broccoli to be crunchy so I stir fry it for no more than five minutes.
- Try a broccoli crown and if it is cooked to your satisfaction remove from the wok and serve with your meal.
Aside from the simplicity of preparation and knowing that I am eating a good portion of vegetable, I like the versatility of the dish. The oyster sauce provides just enough salty sweetness to the vegetable that this dish is not just for Asian inspired dinners. I have eaten this dish with chicken, fish that have been prepared in a variety of ways and seasonings.
You may also like
Rice Vermicelli, East Meets West in the Middle
Piquant Red Cabbage and Apple Relish
Homemade Peach Liqueur, Capturing the Essence of Summer
Spicy Seafood Ratatooie with Rotini, Because I Cannot Pronounce Ratatouille
Pumpkin Soft Pretzels
Rum from Colorado
Pollo de Tapatio (Roast Chicken with Tapatio Salsa Picante)