A creation born out of being hungry and there was little in the way of food in the refrigerator except Swiss Cheese, thin sliced Deli Ham, Portabella Mushrooms and there was no bread.
In the post Decadent Duet: Potabella Mushroom & Broiled Blue Cheese I went into detail on how my enjoyment for Portabella Mushrooms was well behind the marketing campaign. Now that I have embraced these overpriced meaty fungi, I am finding uses for them in snacks, meals and soups. The lunch I prepared for myself was easy to make, full of flavor and probably a lot healthier then the ham, cheese and mayonnaise sandwich I was going to prepare.
Ingredients (one person lunch):
- 2 Large Portabella Mushrooms
- 4 – 6 Slices of thin / shaved Deli Ham
- 2 Slices of Swiss Cheese
- Remove the stems (Save in a freezer bag for future use in mushroom / vegetable stock)
- Poke three or four slits through the mushroom to allow the juices to drain when it bakes.
- Preheat the oven (toaster oven) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place mushroom in aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the baking of the mushrooms is complete, drain off the mushroom juice (I pour it into to same freezer bag as the mushroom stems)
- Place the ham on the mushrooms and top with the cheese
- Set the oven (toaster oven) on broil and cook for 5 – 7 minutes
- Serve and eat
You may also like
The Magic Vanishing Oreo Truffles
Pesto Presto – Pesto Genovese
Nothing Better Than a Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Pasta alla Puttanesca – Retherfordroni Style
Bourbon Derby…The Best Pie (and the best pie crust too).
This is not guacamole
Homemade Peach Liqueur, Capturing the Essence of Summer
Easy Four Step Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patty Recipe