Mmmm. I love blueberry muffins. It’s my favourite treat to buy if out shopping and feeling like I need a little boost to keep going. I love how the berries burst during cooking and colour the muffins with the tart purple juice that helps counter the sweetness.
This recipe for blueberry muffins has so much wholesome goodness in it, the resulting muffins must be good for you. For instance blueberries, are very rich in anti-oxidants and contain more than most other fruits, the oats and whole-wheat flour are a great source of dietary fibre, and using low fat natural yoghurt helps cut down on the amount of fat that normal muffins use in their ingredients.
Blueberry muffin Recipe
- 3oz (75g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 4oz (125g) of wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour
- 5oz (150g) of golden caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3oz (75g) of blueberries
- 1 egg
- 3oz (75g) of rolled oats
- 2 fl oz (50ml) canola or sunflower oil
- 5 fl oz (150ml) natural yoghurt
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- First pre-heat the oven to 400F (200C). Line a 12 hole muffin tray with 8 paper muffin cases or an 24 hole muffin tray with 24 mini muffin cases.
- Add the plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder, baking soda to a bowl and mix together. Stir in the sugar and most of the oats, leaving some for decorating the tops of the muffins. In a jug, combine the yoghurt, egg, oil and vanilla extract and pour into a well made in the middle of the flour mixture.
- Stir until the mixture is just moistened. Don’t worry, the mixture is supposed to be ‘lumpy’. Carefully fold the blueberries into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into each of the paper muffin cases to just about three quarters full Sprinkle on the remaining rolled oats onto the top of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes for large muffins or 12 to 14 minutes for the mini ones until risen and a cocktail stick inserted into the cooked muffin comes out clean. Cool or serve warm.
You may also like
Chiles y cebollas flambeado – Flambéed Chiles and Onions
Summer’s Star: Baked Ratatouille
Homemade Mexican Chorizo Style Sausages
A Diamond Jubilee Cocktail – ‘On the throne’
New Mexico Green Chile Sauce
Asian Style Orange Chicken
Mister Stock: The Unsung Hero of Cooking
Nothing Better Than a Homemade Chicken Pot Pie