My wife has decided that she is going to take part in a weight loss challenge at work, so therefore I am having to come up with tasty dishes that meet her requirement of no carbs after 5pm. I never have a problem coming up with new dishes to try, apart from when there is a restriction placed on me. However I am ready for my challenge of having to come up with new no, or very low carb dinners that are still delicious.
The first dish this week was a ‘lasagne’ (in the loosest sense of the word) made from low-fat ground turkey and using roasted Hatch Chiles instead of lasagne pasta for the layers, since there are still lots of them in the supermarket at the moment. If you can’t get Hatch Chiles, then roasted bell peppers would do equally as well.
- 12 + 1 roasted Green Hatch Chiles (Hot or Mild), peeled, stems and seeds removed
- 1lb (455g) of low fat ground turkey mince
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes
- 4oz (115ml) of chicken stock
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 4oz (115ml) of low fat sour cream
- 8oz (225g) of low fat shredded cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the are soft, and then brown the ground turkey. Add 1 of the Hatch Chile, chopped to the pan, with the crushed tomatoes, oregano and chicken stock. Simmer gently for about 20 minutes and then season to taste.
- Place half of the turkey mixture in the bottom of a high sided oven proof dish. Cover the turkey with half of the Hatch Chiles and then repeat with another layer of turkey and Hatch Chiles.
- Gently spread the sour cream over the top layer of Hatch Chiles and then sprinkle over the cheese.
- Place in a 375F (180C) oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese has browned and serve with a little crumbled queso fresca cheese over the top