Italian spaghetti sauce with mushrooms makes my mouth water with anticipation of a meal that is so easy to prepare. It will probably take longer to write this post than the time required to prepare the meal. For this meal I like to use the prepared homemade Marinara sauce that I have portioned and frozen in Ziploc bags combined with an 16 ounce package of fresh sliced mushrooms. Of course there are other ingredients; Red Wine, Olive Oil and Salt; but these three ingredients are the supporting cast to the Mushrooms and Marinara Sauce.
- 1 x Bag of Home Frozen Marinara Sauce (6 Ladles)
- 16 Ounce Package of Sliced Mushrooms (You can use a smaller amount if desired)
- ¼ Cup of Olive Oil
- ½ Cup of Red Wine (Nothing wrong if you use more wine)
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt (I prefer to use Sea Salt)
- In a medium size sauce pan over medium-high heat add the Olive Oil and Salt.
- Once the Olive Oil is hot, add the Mushrooms and coat them well with the Olive Oil. Reduce the heat to Medium and stir the Mushrooms occasionally for a few minutes.
- Then add the Red Wine and allow the Mushrooms to simmer for a few minutes.
- Whether you have thawed the sauce in the refrigerator, on the counter, in a bath of warm water or not at all, add the portioned amount of sauce to the Mushrooms and bring the sauce to a simmer.
While the sauce is coming to a simmer, in a large pot bring salted water to a boil in preparation of cooking pasta / macaroni / spaghetti el dente. In time it takes to boil the pasta to perfection, the Red Mushroom Sauce will have simmered to the perfect thickness and is ready for the pasta to be added.
Drain the water from the pasta and then combined with the sauce on the stove on High heat to combined all of the ingredient for a minute. Remove from the stove, plate and add Italian grated cheese.
For this meal I used white button mushrooms and rigatoni, but in the end any combination of fresh mushrooms and style of pasta can be combined. To me, what makes this meal special is that not only is it a light meal, but the combination of the slow cooked Marinara Sauce with the Fresh Sliced Mushroom provides both a hearty and fresh flavor in the same meal in 30 minutes or less.